We understand that some students may be starting their course with added responsibilities and have provided some information on extra support and funding available.
If you are having significant difficulties juggling your studies and your home life, please get in touch with us. We can discuss the options that are available to you.
There are two nurseries at the University of Manchester but we recommend registering early with them due to a shortage of places and long waiting lists:
- Dryden Street Nursery Dryden Street Manchester M13 9SY Telephone: 0161 272 7121
- Echoes Day Nursery Echo Street, Off Granby Row Manchester M60 1QD Tel: 0161 306 4979
As places are limited, for more information on other nurseries in the area please click here.
International students with caring responsibilities are able to access the childcare facilities. However International students are not necessarily entitled to welfare benefits, grants or tax credits.
There is a nursery subsidy scheme which offers discounted places for these two nurseries, however an application cannot be made until you have a confirmed place at the nursery. More information on this and a link to the online application can be found here.
If you are unable to find a space at these nurseries, you can see what else is available in the area using this website.
Funding for students with children:
Students with caring responsibilities are entitled to several kinds of funding and benefits:
- The Childcare Grant - This grant is available for students who have dependent children and a low household income. If you have children under 15, the grant pays up to 85% of your actual childcare costs throughout the whole year. For more information, please click here.
- Parents' Learning Allowance - for help with course-related costs for students with dependent children. For more information, please click here.
- Child Tax Credit - to help with the costs of raising children. For more information, please click here.
- Child Benefit – to help with the costs of raising children. For more information, please click here.
- Housing Benefit - for lone parents, disabled people who qualify for Disability Premium or Severe Disability Premium, disabled people who receive Disabled Students Allowance and people aged over 60. For more information, please click here.
- Income Support - for lone parents, disabled people who qualify for Disability Premium or Severe Disability Premium, or disabled people who receive Disabled Students Allowance. For more information, please click here.
- The Daycare Trust provides free information and advice on childcare (tel: 020 7840 3350).
- Gingerbread support for lone parents (tel:0800 018 5026).
- Parentline Plus provides emotional support (tel:0808 800 2222).