The Students’ Union Advice Service is a free, confidential service where students can get information and advice on personal and academic issues. It is run by professional Advisors who are independent of the University, and is located on the ground floor of the Students’ Union building.

In March 2016 the Advice Service was awarded the Advice Quality Standard (AQS), which is a quality mark for organizations that provide advice.  The Advice Service has demonstrate that the Service is easily accessible, effectively managed and employs staff with the skills and knowledge to full advise students’ at the University of Manchester.


Students often seek advice about academic issues such as appeals, complaints and disciplinary hearings. Other common enquiries relate to housing – from problems with a landlord to getting your deposit back. Students can also receive financial advice regarding student finance, benefits and general hardship. We also offer advice on general wellbeing including issues such as sexual health, bullying and discrimination. Finally, we provide advice on an array of other issues such as employment problems, consumer issues and fines, to name but a few.  If you are unsure if the Advice Service is the correct place for you, contact us and we can advise you or refer you to someone who can assist.

Our Advisors are experienced in dealing with formal University procedures, problem landlords and financial blips and will always endeavour to get the best outcome for you.


  • Our advice service saw 3,001 students - a 35% increase on 2014/15
  • We advised on 3,153 cases - a 26% increase on 2014/15
  • We advised on over 300 appeals and over 200 applications for mitigating circumstances
  • We advised on 170 misconduct issues
  • We advised on nearly 200 wellbeing / health issues
  • We checked just under 50 tenancy agreements
  • We received over 4,100 emails 
  • Nearly 1,800 students have dropped in to the Advice Service 
  • We saved students over £100,000 in successful student finance cases, returns of deposits, hardship fund awards and foodbank vouchers.