Support Over the Christmas Break

Our Advice Service will be closed for the Christmas period from and including Thursday 24th December and will reopen on Monday 4th January. This means that we will not be reading or responding to emails during this time.

We appreciate that some of you may still need to access support over the Christmas break and so have collated the information below which includes details of who you are able to contact depending on your situation:

University Issues and Information

The University have put together Christmas Support webpages which lists what provision will and won’t be available during the break. This includes information on IT Services, the libraries, disability support, halls of residence and school support.

The University have also set up an email address specifically for the Christmas period: [email protected]

If you haven’t been able to find the information you need online, you can e-mail the University. The Christmas Support Inbox will be monitored periodically during the Christmas period. If you have a query about an academic procedure, the Advice Service website has information on academic appeals, mitigating circumstances and complaints. If you’re worried about a deadline, please be reassured that the days on which the University is closed for Christmas do not count towards this. If you have a question about an academic matter, you can e-mail the Advice Service and we will respond from 4th January 2021 onwards.

Housing Issues

  • In Halls: If you live in a University Halls of Residence, you can contact Reslife who will be able to support you with any concerns.
  • Outside of Halls: Shelter is a national charitable organisation that provides free housing advice to the public. Help is available through their online chat service or urgent helpline:
  • If an advisor isn’t available, Shelter have lots of useful housing advice on their website -

Mental Health Support

Help in emergencies

  • If you are injured or feel like you are unable to keep yourself safe, go to the Accident and Emergency department at your nearest hospital. The closest hospital to the University Campus is Manchester Royal Infirmary. If you cannot get there quickly enough or need support, phone the emergency services on 999 and ask for help. If you are outside of the UK, you can find the relevant emergency number here.
  • If someone you know if is hurt or is in danger of hurting themselves or others take them to hospital or call the emergency services on 999 and ask for help.

Help in a crisis

  • The University of Manchester Counselling Service is open until 23rd December and is then closed for the break. The service will re-open on Monday 4th January. If you need support before the 23rd December, you can contact the service by email. You can ask an email response or for someone to call you back if you provide your phone number. [email protected] The counselling service also have a number of self-help resources for our students to access.
  • Greater Manchester Mental Health 24/7 Helpline is available around the clock for 24/7 mental health support: freephone 0800 953 0285
  • The Samaritans Listening Service is available 24 hours a day and is a free and confidential listening service to provide support for anyone in distress or experiencing suicidal thoughts. They are available for anyone to call no matter what you are going through or if you just need to talk to another person. Find out more on the Samaritan's website, email: [email protected] OR Tel: 116 123 or 0161 236 8000 (free phone).
  • Shout is the UK’s first free 24/7 text service for anyone in crisis anytime, anywhere. It’s a place to go if you’re struggling to cope and you need immediate help. Text Shout to 85258
  • Shining a Light on Suicide provides information, guidance and resources for anyone experiencing suicidal thoughts -

Support with your health

  • General health concerns: If you have a health concern, we would encourage you to contact your GP or family doctor. If you are unsure how to do this, someone you know or live with may be able to help you make contact. If you aren’t registered with a GP then you can call the NHS on 111.
  • Urgent health concerns/injury: If you are experiencing a life-threatening health emergency, go to your local Accident and Emergency hospital department or ring 999. If you are abroad, you can find the relevant emergency number here.
  • If you aren’t sure whether you need to go to your GP or Accident and Emergency, you can ring 111 who will be able to advice on the best action to take depending on your symptoms. NHS 111 can help you if you need urgent medical help.
  • Dental concerns: you can visit the Advice Service website for guidance on accessing dental treatment
  • Covid related issues: If you are in the UK, we suggest you look at the NHS Covid-19 website. You can seek additional advice from NHS 111 Online Coronavirus Service. If you cannot use this service, then you can phone 111 instead. If you are overseas then we would suggest that you follow your government’s guidance.
  • The University have a list of Covid-related frequently asked questions here.


  • If you, or someone else is at immediate risk of harm call the police on 999. If you are abroad, you can find the relevant emergency number here.
  • If you have experienced a crime, you can decide if you want to report it to the police or not. If the danger has passed, a crime or scam can be reported to the police on the non-emergency number by dialling 101.
  • We would encourage you to contact Victim Support for some extra support and practical advice. You can call them even if the crime hasn’t been reported to the police. Call: 08 08 16 89 111, 24/7 or access support online here.
  • For burglary, it is also a good idea for you to discuss what has happened with your accommodation provider or landlord. Students in University Halls of Accommodation can contact Reslife.
Mobile CSS