You deserve an Activities and Development Officer who will guarantee the quality and quantity of opportunities on campus will not continue to suffer next academic year. Whether our social lives continue online or in person, the SU urgently needs to adapt by creating new opportunities in our increasingly digital landscape, whilst equally setting up a new, fully-funded infrastructure to restore student activities when restrictions are eased. Let’s stop asking ‘when’, and focus on 'how’.
Demand more from your SU with your vote this year!
Money should never hold you back
- ‘Try Before You Buy' scheme for all students to join any (and as many) societies for free for a fortnight before committing to paid memberships.
- A brand-new bursary for student-organised events: Pitch your event to the SU for a bursary to cover extra costs (security, decorations, equipment hire, technology staffing, medics etc.) to using the SU as a venue for an event. Whether it’s an art exhibition, film screening, poetry or DJ night, we can and should be providing the facilities, advice and funds to help you be able to say ‘we did that!’
Promoting & supporting student activities and initiatives
- Campaign for students to be able to book spaces across campus and utilise free spaces in the academies for activities and events.
- Weekly takeovers on the SU's social media to spotlight student-led activities.
- Free advertising opportunities on campus, the SU website and newsletters for societies and campaigners to reach their target audience.
- Working with societies to ensure our ‘What’s On' guide is an accurate, regularly updated display of all the opportunities on campus.
- Weekly drop-in sessions to help launch new societies / events, or help develop existing ones.
Personal development & career support
- Develop handbooks on event planning, fundraising, social media & upskilling for societies, volunteers and campaigners in collaboration with the Careers Service.
- Campaign for students to have access to relevant self-development platforms and training opportunities that university staff can access (e.g. mental health awareness, equality, diversity and inclusion training etc.).
- Streamline university transcript accreditation for volunteering roles and petition for it to expand to include participation in societies.
A sustainable SU
- Partnering with BetterPoints to introduce a reward scheme for walking or cycling to university. Points can be redeemed on food / drink at the SU, library or UoM gift shop.
- Launching an SU Swap Shop to encourage an affordable alternative to fast fashion consumerism by consulting successful, pre-existing models at Warwick, Oxford and Sheffield to name a few examples across the country.
Thank you for reading! Check out my Linktree to read my full manifesto or take part in the short survey I've made to gauge, represent, and defend the interests of every UoM student during my election campaign.
Camila Florencia Rusailh (she/her)
Email: [email protected]
Vote View All Candidates