Special Offers

Emergency Loans and Hardship Grants

Sometimes students get struck by financial troubles at some point in their university career, but help is available and the Advice Service can help you to access it.

Students' Union emergency loan

The Students' Union offers short term loans of up to £100 which are administered by our Advisors.

You can access these loans by contacting an advisor and setting up a standing order to repay us on the date you agree.

Standing orders are easy to do and can be arranged by your bank online, over the phone or by visiting the branch (please be aware that if you have to visit your bank please be aware that loans may not be administered on the same day).

If you want to use internet or telephone banking at the Advice Service to set this up, please ensure that you have the necessary passwords and card reader with you when you attend your appointment.

For more information email us here or call us on 0161 275 2952.

Manchester hardship fund

The Manchester Hardship Fund has been set up by the University to replace the Access to Learning Fund. It has been created to help students who face difficulty meeting their essential living expenses.

To qualify for the Fund students must:

1.     Be registered on a full time programme or study a minimum of 60 credits

2.     Normally have completed 1 year of study

Priority will be given to the following groups:

1.     Students with children

2.     Final year students

3.     Disabled students

4.     Care leavers or homeless students

5.     NHS funded students or undergraduate students from a low income background

For the full criteria, please click here. It may be helpful for you to read the criteria before making an application. You can apply online through your My Manchester account. Applications are assessed by the University’s Student Financial Support Team at the Student Services Centre.

Please contact the Advice Service if you have any questions about your eligibility for an award from the Manchester Hardship Fund or if you would like advice about completing your Manchester Hardship Fund application please contact the Advice Service. Our Advisors can also discuss alternative funding options that may be available to you.

Mobile CSS