Each Hall of Residence run by the University has its own Residents’ Association (RA) or Junior Common Room (JCR) who are responsible for organising and running activities and improving student life in your hall. All students who live in the hall are members of the RA or JCR and the membership fee is included in your rent. RAs and JCRs typically use this money to run socials, trips, events and sporting activities for all residents throughout the year.

RAs and JCRs are made up of an elected committee who the Students’ Union works to support throughout the year. The Students’ Union works to support you in running your RA/JCR. We can help you put on events in your hall, the SU, or in venues across Manchester.

If you have any questions about running your RA/JCR, please email us at [email protected] or phone us on 0161 275 2987. Alternatively, you can pop in and see us in the Student Development Office on the first floor of the SU.

Check out our halls below:

George Kenyon Hall
Hulme & Burkhardt
St Anselm
Owens Park
Liberty Park
Woolton Hall
Canterbury Court
Ashburne & Sheavyn
Whitworth Park
Oak House
Richmond Park
Unsworth Park
Weston Hall
Wright Robinson

Living At Home Students

The Living at Home Project supports students that live off campus, including living at home students and students living in privately rented houses with non-UoM students.

There are many reasons for why living at home is the best choice for a lot of our students, including financial reasons, being a student parent or carer etc. We recognise the different groups within the wider community of living at home students and strive to address their specific needs.

We want to provide more inclusive support which means focusing on these groups. This will be a mixture of support sessions, as well as socials and lunches with other living at home students. It will be a great opportunity for you to meet other students in your position and other living at home students, and for us to listen to you to see what other events and support we can develop together.

As well as putting on events, the programme also campaigns for positive change by asking what support you need, and working with the university to create that change.

The current initiatives we're working on include:

  • Lockers on campus
  • Home away from home - a living at home dedicated space
  • Access to Recreation grant - a grant to cover costs of society involvement

Our Living at Home Project Assistant, Raluca is a living at home student, who puts on these events and campaigns for these changes as a living at home student for living at home students. Raluca is passionate about working with you to provide what you'd like to see as a living at home student.

Want to hear from you and we’re always working to support you better as a Union. If you have any ideas on how we could do more to work with students living at home.  Please contact our Diversity & Inclusion Projects Coordinator, who coordinates our Living at Home Programme: [email protected].

Mature Students

We run several societies available to mature students, including the Mature Students Society, OldSoc, and The Burlington Society. We want to hear from you! We’re always working to support you better as a Union. If you have any ideas on how we could do more to work with mature students, please contact our Off-Campus Student Project Co-ordinator Miriam Amies at [email protected] or 0161 2752 987.

Mobile CSS