Student Carers

A carer is someone who provides unpaid care to a partner, child, relative, friend or neighbour who couldn’t manage without this help because of frailty, physical or mental illness, addiction or disability.

If this describes your position, or you know someone who is a carer, it’s important to know that they can access support from the Students’ Union, the University and from local Carers Organisations. If you to identify as a student carer, please let us know using the online form below. Additionally, please let your school know either by talking to your academic advisor or support staff about your role and potential impact it can have on your studies so they can understand and talk to you about accessing further support.

Being a carer whilst studying for your degree can be a challenging time between managing your studies, social life and caring responsibilities. But don’t worry, there’s plenty of support available to you!

We're currently working on bring a range of new sessions to student carers. This will be a mixture of support sessions hosted with Manchester Carers Centre as well as socials, trips and coffee afternoons. It will be a great opportunity to listen to you to see what other events and support we can develop together but also for you to meet with other student carers. More information about dates and locations will be posted sooner to the time.


Please download our PDF about Student Carers

Further Support

Students’ Union Advice Service

The Students’ Union Advice service provides free, confidential, expert advice on all aspects of student life. You can either drop-in to visit the service between 10:00 - 16:00 every day, book an appointment or send an email to [email protected].

The Advice Service can provide support for academic including applying for mitigating circumstances, concerns about your course or complaints and appeals. They can help support you or to signpost you to services within your Academic school. The advice service can also provide guidance about applying for benefits and support for your accommodation whilst you are a student.

University Support Services

There’s lots of support available from the university and always somebody that you can talk to. The best starting point is the Student Support website where you can find details of support in your school and information on all of the specialist support services. You can also email [email protected] with any questions you might have.

The Counselling Service can also provide completely confidential and expert support for your mental health and wellbeing whilst you are at university. They provide a range of 121 support options, help in a crisis as well as group sessions and drop-ins. You can book an appointment through their website.  Their group session timetable can be found online here

Manchester Carers Centre

Manchester Carers Centre is a designated Carers Centre and a partner organisation for the Carers Trust. They will be able to provide 121 sessions with you to discuss your situation, what they can do to help and if any extra support is needed for the person you care for. They also provide advice about accessing financial support and respite services.

They can be contacted by ringing 0161 272 7270 or emailing Joanne at: [email protected].

Carers Trust

Carers Trust are a charity who work to improve support, services and recognition for anyone caring for a family member or friend. Their website is full of advice from finance to wellbeing, and can be found online here. Carers Trust have also launched the new Going Higher Campaign which is encouraging universities to identify, support and report on student carers in order to improve their time at university.

Carers UK

Carers UK are a national organisation who campaign, connect and work on improving services carers. Their website has a lot of helpful tools, resources and information which can all be found online here. If you want direct advice you can use their Upfront tool or contact their advice line on: 0808 808 7777

The Students' Union is reaching out to student carers to try to establish how we can better support you as a Union and where we need to lobby the University to provide better support. If you have any thoughts on what we can do to support student carers, please fill in the form below or contact Miriam Amies.

Create your own user feedback survey

Our Advice Service is here to support you. The Advice Service is a free, confidential service where students can get information and advice on personal and academic issues. It is run by professional Advisors who are independent of the University, and is located on the ground floor of the Students’ Union building.

We've put together this Watch Your Wellbeing guide to help you to stay healthy and happy at University.


Carers Trust has more resources and advice for young adult carers. Click here to find out more.

Mobile CSS