The changes so far...
The Students’ Union Ground Floor was reopened in September 2017 after a major refurbishment. University of Manchester staff and students were introduced to Biko Street, a relaxed space where students can meet, eat, and drink. Further changes to the Ground Floor were made in April 2018, including the introduction of a new bespoke event space and increased seating capacity.
- Opened Biko Street - a place for students to meet, eat, relax and shop
- Increased our eateries to include a Veggie Hut, Burrito Bar, and Global Kitchen
- Added two new staff rooms, meeting rooms and a media suite
- Added studios in the Basement for dance and activities
- Upgraded the Basement and First Floor toilets
- Added an extra coffee station at Brew to shorten the queue time
- Increased seating capacity
- Added printed menus to Biko Street
- Moved the Union Shop and Biko Street into one location to allow for greater convenience
- Added new digital screens to the Ground Floor and First Floor
- Moved the Advice Service to a new hub on the First Floor
- Created an activities lounge on the First Floor (to open on Monday 16 April 2018)
- Improved the menu on Biko Street at Global Kitchen, Burrito Cantina and Veggie Hut to include more global cuisine and to cater for the University of Manchester’s international student population
- Developed the menu in the Union Bar to include a new fabulous brunch offering
- Created a bespoke event space for student’s favourite brands to deliver offers and experiences throughout the academic year, including food and drink festivals, fashion events, networking opportunities, talks, and workshops
The changes coming up...
The First Floor of the building will be reopening on Monday 16th April. The First Floor has been under renovation since September 2017, and we’re excited to reveal the brand new space, including Leaders Lounge, Advice service and Exec Team offices.
The Second Floor of the building is now closed as work gets underway to transform the Council Chambers into a theatre and lounge, and the meeting rooms are refurbished.
We'll also be offering the following by 2019:
- More performance spaces including a purpose built theatre
- More meeting rooms
- Upgrade all toilets in the building
- Refurbish the Union Bar and courtyard area
- Get started on a rolling programme of gig venue upgrades
- Add self service checkouts in the Union Shop
- Transform the Union with the THINK ART project
- Introduce new merchandise featuring original student art
- Open an international space on the First Floor
As part of this huge development, we will also be improving the structure and quality of the building including electrical and mechanical upgrades, as well as general repairs throughout.