Advice Service

The Advice Service supports students with a wide range of academic issues, including appealscomplaintsmitigating circumstancesdisciplinary issues and course/university transfers.

Our Advisors can advise you regarding the various procedures, comment on your appeal and complaint submissions and also help you to prepare for disciplinary hearings. In certain circumstances our advisors can even attend them with you.






If you encounter any difficulties with your studies during your time at the University of Manchester, the Advice Service can support you.

We are committed to providing impartial, confidential advice and advocacy whenever necessary.

Feel free to contact us whatever the issue, big or small.





Many students can find it difficult to manage their finances whilst they study. Termly instalments of student finance and monthly outgoings can feel impossible to balance.

Fortunately, we at the Advice service are here to offer a helping hand.

If you're worried about budgeting, you may find the University's budgeting planner useful. Alternatively, this budgeting planner helpfully lets you add in your own incomings and outgoings.

Sometimes however, even the most thrifty among us can be left feeling a little short of cash.






Here at the Advice Service, we can help you with Student Finance, Additional Funding, Additional Funding Postgraduate, emergency loans and hardship grants and funding for international students

To ease their financial worries, many students seek work whilst they study. If you wish to look for work, job opportunities are regularly listed on the Students' Union website and at the University's Careers Service




Ready to sign your housing contract?          



Wherever you live, your accommodation is one of the most important parts of your life as a student and you should feel happy and safe living there.

The Advice Service supports students with a wide range of accommodation issues, including finding a new house, contracts, the Tenancy Deposit Scheme, inventories, bills, council tax, gas safety, ending your tenancy and moving out.

Our advisors can also help if you are having problems with the property, your landlord, fellow tenants or neighbours. 


Useful information on the legalities of renting, moving in best practice and how to resolve issues can be found here.

If you are having problems with University halls, you can be confident that our advisors are independent of the University and will always work in your best interests. 

Feel free to contact us if you have any issue, big or small.






The Advice Service recognises that students may encounter difficulties within their personal lives whilst at university and can offer advice with regards to sexual health, bullying, discrimination and harassment or just an ear to listen if students are feeling homesick or need to talk through worries in a confidential space, completely independent from the University.   

In addition to advice, the Advice Service provides free condoms, panic alarms and pregnancy tests, and we also sell Mooncups at cost price. Our Advisors may not be experts in everything, but they will always be able to help you find the best place to look and can talk through your options with you whatever you are facing.

The Advice Service can support you in any of the issues listed on these pages and much more. Our experienced Advisors are committed to providing impartial, confidential advice and advocacy to students. Please contact us whatever the issue, big or small.




The Students’ Union is currently undergoing an extension to create the perfect usable space for all students at the University of Manchester.  As a result of the building works the Advice Service has relocated to the ground floor of the Students Union building near the shop on the right hand side of the building.  As a result of the move, we only have access to one interview room, therefore the availability of face to face appointments will be limited.  However we can still provide advice via telephone or email.

The Advice Service is open Monday to Friday, 10am – 4pm all year round - both in and out of University terms, with the exception of public holidays and occasional training days. During these times you can drop-in (if the service is busy you may have to return at a later time to see an advisor), book an appointment, telephone or email us. 

Call us on: 0161 275 2952



If you are contacting the Advice Service, please can you provide us with the following information:

1.   Student ID

2.   Course title

3.   Year and mode of study

4.   Whether you pay home or international fees

5.   Telephone number

6.   Brief description of the issue


Please note that the Advice Service will be closed on the last Wednesday of the month.


Please note that when you contact us for advice we will open a confidential case file for you and record your personal information, details of your enquiry and any advice given. Information such as your course, gender, etc will be used for statistical purposes only and will not identify you when compiling reports. Your details will be recorded and stored securely in line with the Data Protection Act 1998. 

Personal information will not be shared with anyone outside of the service unless we have your authority; this includes the University. However, the Advice Service is currently applying to the Advice Quality Standard (AQS) for an Advice Quality Mark and they could audit your file as part of this process. Any personal data reviewed by AQS will remain confidential. You reserve the right to refuse this request.

If you do not agree that the details of your case can be recorded and stored by the Advice Service and / or you do not wish your file to be made available to AQS for auditing purposes, please let us know.


The Advice Service is based on the ground floor of the Students' Union building on Oxford Road, M13 9PR.