Money is one of the big things friends fall out about, therefore it is important that you discuss who is paying what before you move in.  You could also set up a house bank account, which everyone pays a reasonable amount of money into at the beginning of each term when the loan comes through or a certain amount at the beginning of each month to cover all bills.

The main bills to consider are;


First thing you must do when you receive your keys is read the meter, take a note of it and keep it in a safe place. You then need to then find out who supplies fuel to the property and call them.  Make sure you register all the students in the house for the date your tenancy started not when you move in.  It is important you have everyone’s name on the account, as everyone will be pursued for unpaid bills instead of just one person.

Avoid estimate bills by providing meter readings regularly, at least every 3 months, and most importantly take a meter reading on your last day of tenancy and provide this to your supplier; you don't want to be paying for the next tenants.


First of all you need to find out if you are supplied with gas. This should have been made clear to you when you looked around the house. Read our information about Gas Safe to ensure that your property has a Gas Safety Certificate. 


Commonly known as the rates, Water bills are sometimes paid by your landlord as part of your rent but you should check this before you move in; it should be stated in your contract.

TV License

It is against the law if you watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV, online TV, or on any device without being in possession of a TV License, this includes when residing in halls as it is not (unless stated in your contract) included in your rent. You can purchase your TV License here and can pay annually, quarterly or monthly.


Most student houses need it, but be sure to shop around for the best deals and don’t sign up to more than a one year contract.

Previous Tenants Debts

If a previous tenant has run up debts for anything you should refer the company requesting money to your landlord or agency who should have their contact details on file.  Alternatively, you could return the mail by crossing out the previous tenants name and stating that they no longer reside in your property.