Council Tax

As a student, you may not have to pay council tax. Use this guide to find out more information on whether you need to pay.

For full information, visit the Manchester city council website.

A dwelling occupied solely by full-time students should be exempt. If you live in an area covered by the following postcodes (M1, M4, M8, M9, M11, M12, M13, M14, M15, M16, M18, M19, M20, M21, M22, M23 and M40) the University automatically sends notification of your student status to Manchester City Council.

You still need to inform Manchester City Council that you are a full-time student. You can do this by clicking here.

I am a full time student living in halls, house or flat.

Most halls of residence are exempt from Council Tax, so residents should not be liable.  Students sharing a dwelling with other full-time students will not be liable - the dwelling is exempt.

International student living with a non-student partner

If you live in private-rented accommodation with a spouse or dependent who is from outside the European Economic Area and whose visa prevents them claiming benefits, then the dwelling will be exempt so long as no other adult, non-students live in the dwelling.

Students sharing with one or more unemployed people

If you share with an unemployed person who is claiming Council Tax Benefit you should not be liable for the Tax. Council Tax Benefit (received by the unemployed person) should pay most of the bill.

Students sharing with employed non-student(s)

The non-student will probably be liable for 75% of the Council Tax bill, as there is a 25% discount for a person is sole liable for council tax.  If there are two or more non-students in the property then the non-students are liable to pay 100% of the Council Tax bill.  The students are not liable for the Council Tax bill when non-student(s) live at the property. 

Employed persons on low incomes may be eligible for some Council Tax Benefit which should further reduce the bill.

Students living with a resident landlord

If all the residents are students the dwelling will be exempt. Where non-students are resident then the dwelling may cease to be exempt and the landlord will be liable for the bill, even if the landlord is a student.

I am a part-time student

Students registered for part-time courses will be liable for Council Tax. For example, a single parent living with two children under 18 will pay 75% of the basic bill and will be eligible to apply for Council Tax Benefit on the basis of low income.