Registering with a GP and Dentist


It’s really important that you register with a GP whilst you are living in Manchester. It is easy to do and means that you can access medical care when you need it. Don’t leave it until you’re ill!

You will still be able to see your family GP when you are at home during the holidays, as they can see you as an emergency patient or a visitor.

To find your local GP whilst you are living in Manchester, please click here.  

If you feel unwell and want advice on what to do please call NHS Direct (Tel: 111). This is a 24 hour confidential service where you can also find out about your nearest GP, pharmacist, dentist or out of hours services.


We advise that you register with an NHS dentist and go for regular check-ups.  Emergency dental treatment is available from the University Dental Hospital, or, you if you would like to search for your nearest dentist, please click here. There are usually charges for dental treatment and check-ups.

International Students

If you are an international student following a course lasting 6 months or more, you are eligible to obtain free healthcare from the NHS. If you have a vaccination history, take that too.

If you are an international student on a course lasting less than 6 months, you are only entitled to limited NHS hospital treatment. It is advisable that you take out private health care insurance, unless you are from a country with a reciprocal health care arrangement. To find out more, please click here.

EU/EEA Students

EU/EEA Students are entitled to free NHS treatment. You should obtain a European Health Insurance Card before you arrive in the UK.    

Prescription Costs

If you're a student aged 19 years you are not automatically entitled to free prescriptions or dental treatment. Although you will not usually have to pay for medical treatment, there are charges for prescriptions.

However, you may be able to receive financial assistance with the cost of prescriptions by applying for help using a HC1 form.  This form is available from your GP or the Students' Union Advice Service.

Studies & Illness

If you find yourself too ill to study you will probably have to complete a form usually called a 'certification of ill health' that you can obtain from your school to explain your absence. 

Long term illnesses can be supported by the University's Disabled Students Office and you may be entitled to Disabled Students Allowance whilst you study. For more information, please click here and here.

You should also consider submitting a mitigating circumstances form. For more information, please click here and here.

Mobile CSS